Concussion Treatment: Concussion 101

There has been a lot of discussion about concussions lately. Here is some information for athletes and those who love them.

What is a Concussion?
A concussion or traumatic brain injury (TBI) is a hit, blow or jolt to the head. This impact interrupts the functioning of the brain. In a given year there are reports of over a million brain injuries in the United States. Concussions can be mild or severe. Athletes can recover from concussions within weeks but there is a risk from symptoms that can be ongoing.

Who can diagnose a concussion or brain injury?
A neurologist or neuropsychologist can diagnose a concussion or brain injury?

What sports are at risk for concussions?
With any physical activity you can be at risk for a concussion. However, American football, soccer, hockey, wresting and other contact sports have more of a risk.

What are symptoms of concussion or brain injury?
It is important to understand that there are more than physical effects that can occur with multiple concussions or a brain injury.

Athletes can experience behavioral and emotional symptoms:

  • Problems sleeping
  • Loss of self-control
  • Anger
  • Aggression
  • Substance Abuse
  • Depression
  • Suicidal Thoughts
Is there HELP?

Concussion Treatment for Athletes -

All of these symptoms can be addressed through concussion treatment psychotherapy. If you or a love one is experiencing symptoms from a concussion or a brain injury, contact me for a free consultation today. 

You can get more information and register for my upcoming 2016 six-week concussion treatment group located in Chicago, IL.

Why should I come see you for concussion treatment?

  • This is my life’s work. In addition to working directly with athletes and coaches I research topics effecting athletes, speak publicly about mental health in sports, I work with organizations that advocate for student-athletes’ rights and I have developed the 1 in 4 PROJECT an organization to fight stigma around mental health in the sport’s community. 
  • The reason many athletes are drawn to me is because they feel relaxed to be themselves in a non-judgmental environment. They begin to feel that I am a part of their support system.
  • I have years of experience working with athletes. With that experience I understand the sport culture and I am able to relate to you.
  • I also am an expert in working with people who have never work with a therapist before. I am able to work with you as we begin to navigate what is going on and find solutions. My approach to working with athletes is very different than other therapists.
Visit my website at www.nataliegraves.com
Email: nataliegraveslcsw@gmail.com  






Comments